Monday, September 19, 2005

Roller-Coaster Weekend Update

Aww. Weekend Update. Jimmy Fallon really ought to go back to doing live work. None of this pansy movie stuff.

*Ahem*

The past few days have been insane... in good and bad ways... and have been roller-coaster-esque in nature. Heres a list of the high-lights and updates.

1. The Appartment Search: I've decided to go for a little one-room appartment for a temporary period of time. Assuming it's still available. I called the renter today and am waiting go hear back from her.

2. The Work Permit: The earliest I can get it is four weeks minus three days... right now, it's all about *stomps her foot* patiently waiting.

3. The Hotel: It's getting very old very fast. On the one hand, it's nice that I know pretty much everyone who works here and vice versa... but on the other hand, I'm starting to get a little creeped out. There are a few older men (including the hotel owner) who hang out here pretty often, and they can be nice... but they also make me slightly uncomfortable. I don't like them knowing exactly when I leave and return, and where I stay... and I don't like that they jokingly call me cutesy names and stuff. Darn it. Why can't anyone my own age hit on me? Just kidding. :) But seriously. It's time to move on.

4. MTV and the Emotional Breakdown: Unbelievable as it is, I almost had a meltdown while watching MTV the other night... the Austin Real World was on, and I *sniff* teared up a tad. But just a tad. And I didn't actually shed any tears.

5. The Rollercoaster: For the first time since I've been here, I've felt rather upset. Frustrated. Annoyed. Empty. There's so much to take in, so many decisions to be made, so many new people, so many complications (permits, appartments, work stuff, etc.), so much that I simply can't understand language-wise... and it's starting to wear on me. It's an on-and-off type of wearing, though. One minute I'll be completely overwhelemed but the next minute it'll all be fine. We'll see. Once several factors straighten themselves out, I'll be back on the right track.

6. The Church: I visited a little free church this past Sunday, and it went really well. I met a really great family there, and the mom actually reminds me of my own dear mother. She's very warm, welcoming, outgoing, helpful, and you can just tell that wherever she goes, people love her. :) She's been an encouragement and help.

There was a guest speaker there, and he was talking on his work in the mission field. He's a German, with a Brazilian wife, and they work in Italy. It was interesting to hear his story.

The only "problem", if you will, is that there was barely anyone my own age at the church. Many people were quite a bit older; there were a few families; and then there were the high-school-aged youth. So... we'll see.

7. The Smoke: No wonder I craved cigarettes last time I returned to the States... I really think that it's possible to be addicted to the things without smoking a single one. Sure, I haven't smoked yet since I've been here, but my clothes reak; I've inhaled it all night (went out with my dear coworkers tonight); and I can still taste it even as I type. *cough* *cough*

No comments: