Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Work Update, 02.10.06

Hmm... how do I phrase this to avoid losing my job today as opposed to in a couple of months? Let's just say that the drama and headaches are never-ending. And, fortunately, so is the love and support. So, THANK YOU!

Here are the recent interesting developments*:

- Jürgen Rüttgers, the Ministerpräsident of Nordrhein-Westfallen (comparable to a state governor), was actually at our site on Friday. That's a big deal. And I was ten feet away from him... though he's no competition for Tony Blair.

- The Works Council/Committee (Betriebsrat), IG Metall and some other local politicians also threw a well-deserved hissyfit for the workers and the press on Friday. Ah, riled-up crowds... they're interesting to observe.

- An Insolvency Administrator (Insolvenzverwalter) has taken over the company; all costs and decisions are in his control.

- My co-workers refer to me as Aphrodite. If the Taiwanese can pick out English names for themselves, then my co-workers and I can pick out Greek names, darn it. I originally wanted to be Artemis, but they thought Aphrodite was a better fit.

- Our salaries are guaranteed until December 31, and will be covered by the Employment Bureau (Arbeitsamt).

- Siemens announced Monday that they would help BenQ employees by paying for additional schooling that could be needed for a new job. Um. Thanks. But I'd prefer an actual job.

*sigh*

Two new projects have officially been considered and approved, and will be executed as soon as possible: Project Freak-Out Avoidal and Project New Opportunity Search.

Das Leben ist... em... manchmal ne bissl hart.


*everything I've written has also surfaced somehow, at some point, in the press. I'm not spilling any confidential information here.

No comments: