Friday, October 13, 2006

On Sex and Context

When people have sex in the wrong context, it makes them stupid. Incredibly stupid.

By "stupid", I mean lacking in judgement, inability to see see and think clearly, inability to see the other person and situation as it really is, placement of your own desires above all else, apathy and disregard for consequences, and a shirking of responsibility.

By "context", I mean marriage. Yes, I'm taking the unpopular, seemingly-prude, seemingly-old-fashioned stance. But I'm doing so strongly and unapologetically. So shoot me.

Sex is a binding, sacred and beautiful force, created to be shared exclusively between a man and a woman in the right context. But taken outside this context, it is dangerous and destructive.

Like anything taken in excess or abused in the wrong context, it will take a powerful hold on your life. And it will kill you. The word "kill" is neither exaggeration nor dramatization.

I've seen a lot. A lot of horribly stupid things that simultaneously break my heart and make me want to strangle people.

Let this be a warning.

*steps off the soapbox*

No comments: