Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Sozialized Healthcare saved my life (well, my sore throat)

I've finally found a system/organization in Germany that's not overly complicated, frustrating and downright aggravating on a very personal level: the Healthcare System!

Let's take a moment to applaud Sozialized Healthcare. *clap clap clap*

I went to the doctor for the first time since living here (that's right, folks, one year and one month without a doctor, MUAH!) and was dreading it. But it worked. All I did was pay my 10 Euro co-pay and let them scan my little insurance-credit-card-thing, and they let me in.

What I found odd was that they didn't give me a medical background questionnaire to fill out.

[Aside to my German friends: when you go to a new doctor in the States, you always have to fill out an extremely long and detailed questionnaire about your medical history. No, this information isn't passed on from one doctor to another.]

Today, all they did was ask for my address and phone number. Strangeness.

The doctor asked a few health questions, looked at my throat, then gave me some anti-biotics. It was that simple. And "free." And I didn't even have to strip and put on an uncomfortably awkward night gown.

No wonder so many co-workers go to the doctor and take off of work every chance they get. Hmm... it's actually not a bad idea...

1 comment:

Sarah D said...

Haha that's fantastic! Maybe I should just go to the doctor in Germany, because I'm DREADING a trip to the doctor here... I think I'm due for the visit that causes women everywhere to cower in the corner. ;-)