Saturday, April 29, 2006

Super-Critical Translation Project (please pass the salt)

Being the sophisticated English-speaking international business woman that I am, I often receive critical translation projects, and today was no exception. The project? Translating next Tuesday's cafeteria menu into English because the BenQ CEO from Taiwan is coming to Kamp-Lintfort that day. *gulp*

As if I have nothing better to do than sit at my desk and try to figure out whether "gebratene Puten" means "roasted turkey hen" or "fried turkey hen." And believe me, there's a difference. What if the CEO doesn't eat fried stuff? What if he orders "roasted turkey hen" cause that's what's on the menu, and then has a heart-attack cause it's fried? Is it my fault? Will I lose my job?

Hmm... maybe I'll then receive a new Super-Critical Translation Project. Like translating directions to the nearest hospital into English.

I kind of wanted to mis-translate the menu or add random dishes and items just to throw things off and make things interesting, but decided not to.

CEO: "I ordered fetuccini alfredo with peppered chicken! What's this funky-looking piece of meat?"
Waitress: "Um, that's Curry Wurst. It's what you ordered."
CEO: "No, I
didn't order that. Can't you read the menu?"
Waitress: "I
am reading the menu!!"
CEO: "You're fired!"


My Boss: "Mary, we need to talk... please step into my office."
Mary: "Darn, I was afraid you'd say that..."


Heh.

No comments: