Thursday, October 27, 2005

Dreaming of a Texas Christmas (warning: includes savings lecture)

Though a White Christmas might be nice, I'd much rather have a warm, dry Christmas in Austin with my dear family and friends. And as of today, it looks like I'm going to be able to make it home for Christmas, after all!

I spoke with my boss yesterday, and the entire financial situation is looking much better, which is encouraging. Plus, I remembered that I hadn't drained out my US bank account... and lo and behold, I have more than enough to purchase a plane ticket home!

To my sisters and my friends who aren't "financially independent" (or whatever the term might be), let me give you some words of advice: save your money, and when you spend it, spend it wisely. Given my current situation, I am sooo relieved that I've tended to save in the past. If I hadn't, I don't know where I'd be today. Well, I'd most likely still be here... but stuck here. No coming home over Christmas. Not being able to purchase a car. Having to mooch off the company. Having to borrow money.

When you first start out on your own, there are so many expenses, especially larger one-time expenses (car, things for the appartment, insurance, travel, etc.). I've had a buffer zone, in a way, because I've saved so much throughout my life.

And the little things add up. I brought my lifesavings over here in cash (except for what I discovered yesterday in my US bank! MUAH!), and it's almost gone. My lifesavings. That's huge. Goes to show you what you need when you're launched into the real world.

Save, people, save. Be smart. Think about the future. Eternal perspective applies to money as well.

On a lighter note... I've started looking at flights! And it looks like I'm going to be flying Beatles Airways (aka British Airways) again... I love it!

No comments: