Sunday, August 27, 2006

Music Seminar :)

Yesterday, Syd and I went to a seminar in Wiedenest on music in the church. It was very interesting* and informative, and there were a couple ideas I'd like to maybe try out. I'm the type (and I think Syd is, too) who has to sit on information for a while, and internally process it and think it through before coming to conclusions. So... we shall see what practically becomes of our theory.

Generally, though, I think our church is on the right track, and headed in the right direction.

The speaker said that two things determine people's reaction to music - specifically, music that's not in their preferred style: their relationship with God and their love for another. For example, if you're excited about God and want to praise Him, it won't matter to you whether it be with organ music or with drums and a guitar. And if you love others in the church, you'll be more willing to compromise.

Fortunately, I'm fond of all types of music, so this isn't much of an issue for me personally. Though I'd like to think that if the youth, for example, wanted to integrate rap music (one of the few genres I can't stand) into our worship time, I'd be open.

Lalala.

When we first got there, we saw an enticing grand piano in one of the rooms, and during the break, we had to test it out, of course. The main entrance was locked by then, but where there's a will, there's a way... so we managed to sneak in through the back entrance. Reminded me of the good ol' days in the MSC**, in a way. Anyway, 'twas a lovely piano, and Syd's playing was as lovely as ever, and the Green-Eyed Monster*** was as vicious as ever. But the necessary combat steps are being taken.

*scratches her head*

I still kind of want to quit work and start a band... or maybe a Gregorian-chant-singing Choir.


Lyric of the day: "Locus iste a deo factus est. Inestimabile sacramentum. Irreprehensibilis est." (Thanks to Die Beinahe Sechs)


*in the German sense of the word, Eleanor! :)

**Memorial Student Center at A&M

***to my dear German readers: the "Green-Eyed Monster" is jealousy... don't ask why... ist einfach so. :)

4 comments:

Sarah D said...

Yay for grand pianos!! I've been debating the purchase of a piano of my very own... but as I am still somewhat "mobile" (meaning I'm definitely not settled long term-ish), that's not a practical purchase. So I've been looking into NICE electronic keyboards too... we'll see what happens. :-)

Mary Elizabeth said...

My Emita- I miss you too, Lovey! :) Ooh, I can understand the withdrawals... you'll definitely have to make it a point to keep up with your practicing. Hey, Mom found the music books we were looking for, by the way.

Sarah- exciting stuff! Owning a grand piano is a "dream" of mine as well... but it's also impractical at this point. Maybe someday. :)

char said...

okay, i have a few problems with your cast of characters. and by few, i mean one very large problem...i am nowhere to be found. i think the super-heroine-esque relationship of Sound Girl and Sidekick (yes, we will leave off Tall Guy) deserves something...at least a small post or mention somewhere in your very informative, entertaining, and otherwise thorough blog. i found hccsa yearbooks recently. good times. du bist ist der hammer (that's what a german friend told me is slang for "you're the bomb"...i probably butchered it)

Mary Elizabeth said...

Sound Girl! My fellow partner in crime! It's been a while. At first I was going to simply comment back, but then I thought I'd devote an entry to Sound Girl and Sidekick. :)