Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Life Theory Validations and Rain

Yesterday, I rode my bike through the rain for the first time. On the one hand, it was an annoying pain. But on the other hand, the masochistic pessimist in me kind of wanted it to rain, just so my cynical Life Theories* could be validated, which they were.

So, the classic Battle Between Optimism and Pessimism...

Mary: "It's raining and I'm feeling cold, wet, gross and annoyed."
Laura**: "Be positive. It could be raining harder."
Mary: *rolls her eyes* "Or it could be sun-shiny."
Laura: "Or it could be colder... and, say, snowing instead of drizzling."
Mary: "Or I could be driving. And I could have passed my test. The first time. Or the second time. Or maybe even the third time."
Laura: "At least you have a bike. And someone was kind enough to
give it to you!"
Mary: "But I also have Scaramouche... and she's disintigrating in the garage."
Laura: "It could be a ton worse; believe me."
Mary: "I know, I know. I could swerve in front of this approaching 18-wheeler, for instance."
Laura: "WATCH OUT!!!"


And so it went.

The Never-ending Mental Battle. If the Battle is exclusively in your mind, between you and yourself, does that mean that (a) it truly is never-ending and (b) there's no way to ever win it?

Or, as Laura would say, there's no way you can lose it.

At least there's one thing in life I'm sure of: if you bike outside in the rain without an umbrella or rain jacket, you get *bleeping* soaked.



*Life is a Valley of Misery. Meaningless, meaningless, everything is meaningless. Life is an A-minor song. Etc.

**my positive alter-ego

No comments: