Monday, February 13, 2006

Progress and such

Today was encouraging, as I think I jumped a major hurdle language-wise. In the past, I've always noticed that the later in the day, the more difficult it is to both comprehend and speak German. It's as if you hit a wall with the language... you simply run out of words.

This evening, a few co-workers and I had planned on going out after work. It had been a rather long day, and I'd done more talking than normal, as I had to explain some functions to a co-worker (and let me tell you... it was difficult! He had so many questions!). Honestly, though I wanted to go out, I was dreading it a little, as I anticipated not being able to follow or add much of anything to the conversation. Surprisingly, not only did I make it through the evening, but I was able to follow and speak at the normal level. There wasn't a noticeable leap forward... but at least there wasn't the normal stumbling backwards.

Progress is being made! Slowly, but surely.

People I just meet tend to ask similar questions... "Why, of all places, do you want to live in Germany?" and "How long do you want to be here?" Many don't understand why I left the States. America is a wonderful country, and living here has made me appreciate many aspects of the American way of life. But I also love it here... I love the people I've met, the groups that have been established, the church I'm involved with, the way of life, and the way of thinking. Heck, I'm even growing accustomed to the fact that 99.9999% of life is "geregelt."

Living here and being thrust into independence and a new life has been a challenge, an adventure, an excitement, a stretch, and a continuous learning experience.... mentally, spiritually and physically. But it's exactly what's needed.

Status Quo, Schmatus Schmo.


Lyric of the day: "It takes a man (woman?) to suffer ignorance and smile... be yourself, no matter what they say. I'm an alien... I'm a legal alien... I'm an Englishman in New York (or an American Girl in Nordrhein-Westfalen)." (Thanks to Sting!)

No comments: