Monday, February 06, 2006

At least I've still got my piano.

Some words of wisdom I'd like to reiterate... concerning significant others (or lack thereof, in this case).

1. Find someone with the same values. This is the advice that my grandmother gave my mother, so it's very special. When my mom asked her parents what they thought she should look for in a man, this is what they told her. Other things (think: hobbies, interests, the physical) can change, but values are core to who you are. These absolutely must be in sync.

2. If you're not happy when you're single, you won't be happy with someone else. My Mom told me this years ago, and it's always stuck with me... interestingly, I was talking with Bizarro Mom the other day and she said the exact same thing. It's amazing and encouraging how God works and speaks through people.

This statement is so true. Why? Because, ultimately, contentment is not found in another person. Contentment and true happiness are found outside of ourselves, and outside of other people. If you expect another person to fulfill you and bring you contentment, you're going to put an insanely unfair amount of pressure on that person, as it's impossible.

This last one is for the ladies...

3. Do you respect his judgement and decision making? Before my parents were married, one of my mother's mentours asked her this question. Though marriage is a partnership, women, for whatever reason, are called to *ahem* submit themselves to a certain extent to their husbands. If there is a lack of respect, an absence of trust, or a difference in values, this cannot function correctly. If at all.

Everyone makes mistakes, of course... and we're to forgive... but if a man makes decisions that are repeatedly out of line with your values and what you believe and hold dear, and if you do not respect the decisions he makes, then... ADIOS MUCHACHO!

*steps off the soapbox*


Lyrics of the day: "Wait a minute, something's wrong... oh, the key won't unlock this door. Hey, I have a bad feeling... my baby don't live here no more... but I still got my guitar." (Thanks to Jimi Hendrix.)


Yes, and I've still got my piano. Muah.

No comments: