Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Doctor's Appointment...

Well, it finally happened: the appointment with the infamous Betriebsartzt. And it wasn't bad at all. As a matter of fact, the doctor wasn't even there today (which is strange, as it's a Tuesday)... the nurses just had me fill out a questionnaire, took my blood pressure, weighed me, measured me, and did an eye exam.

The questionnaire was interesting... on the one hand, many medical terms are similar to those in the US. On the other hand, there were some pretty long scary-sounding words, and I unfortunately didn't have a dictionary. With the words I was unclear on, I figured it'd be safer to check "no" as opposed to checking "yes." I'd say there were about 10 to 15 terms I was unclear on (automatic "no"!)... so... the next person who looks at my medical records is either going to think I'm (a) quite healthy, which is true, (b) infested with diseases or (c) a pathological liar.

The nurse probably thinks I'm a moron, but what's one to do? I'm too busy calculating statistics and forecasts to bother converting my own weight and measurements, as the following conversation proves:

Nurse: "How tall are you, Frau Barber?"
Mary: "I'm sorry, I only know my height in feet and inches, not meters."
Nurse: "That's fine; we can measure you... how much do you weight, then?"
Mary: "Umm, I don't know that, either. Well, I do know it, but in pounds, not kilograms."

Oh well.

The eye exam went fine. I think they want to be able to trace the deterioration of my eyes due to excessive amounts of work-related computer time.


Lyric of the day: "I don't want to be your other half... I believe that one and one make two... and I'm not the doctor." (Thanks to Alanis.)

No comments: