Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Random Thoughts and Observations and Updates

Yesterday, I installed a new finance program on my computer. It's like Shelby Systems (the system used by my Texas church) but in German!

I have a new Project... we'll just call it Finance Project X. :)

Some people are pack-rats to the extent of needing serious psychological intervention. We're talking about dirt everywhere. Multiple washing machines. Hundreds of glass bottles. 20 years worth of glass bottles. Horrid smells. Floods of newspapers from decades gone by. Church pews. If you can help it, please be clean and throw stuff away.

Did you guys know that kiwis grow on trees and have stems?

Saturday evening was another typical evening in the Center of the Universe... sitting on the kitchen floor, eating chocolate and kiwis, and talking about random things such as feet and the German Constitution.

I miss Mariposa.

Syd has gotten ruder and ruder. For example , he told me that if the Torte I'd just made had been on a cooking show, it would have failed. And he suggested I was deaf (well how about YOU try listening to multiple people simultaneously talk to you in a foreign language... though German is slowly becoming a not-so-foreign-language). But I still like him. :)

For the first time in a very long time, I felt like Jesus was somehow speaking directly to me. So much so that I, em, kind of broke down in tears. But they weren't necessarily sad tears.

One of the many things I love about life here is the fact that the environment itself seems to foster learning.

Huckleberry broke one of my plates and turned it into a lovely piece of artwork, which is now hanging in the kitchen.

"Sahnesteif", a recent discovery I've made, is a a type of powder you can mix into whipping cream to prevent it from turning runny so quickly. And it really works.

I realized this weekend how lovely classical music is and how much I miss playing it...

Rock covers of traditional hymns are awesome... until you try to immitate them right after the church service when the elderly folks are trying to drink their coffee in peace and quiet and you get scolded by Eleanor. :)

I've been sorting and reading through old journals (am almost done with 1998) and there's some crazy stuff in there. It's weird seeing what/how I thought nine years ago when I was 14 years old... and ironically enough, there are some thought patterns and themes that have continued with me until this day...

One thing I've always loved about our church is the fact that it's like a huge family... one day I'll be all goofy and immature w/ the youth; the next day I'll be invited to an elderly couple's house to play their organ and have an elegently gourmet dinner; and the next day I'll do something "normal" with people closer to my own age. :)

My dearest Texas friend is now dating someone, which is odd because as long as I've known her she's been single. And he's 4.5 years younger than she is...

The hotel I lived in when I first moved here is still up and running. Our Post-Choir-Drinking-Group enjoyed wine and cappuccino there yesterday evening.

This week has been encouraging and things are looking more upbeat and positive.

I still don't have a job.

The authorities are still trying to decide what to do with me and my living permit.

The world is actually rather small, life is rather short, and eternity is rather long... so there's really no reason to freak out.

No comments: