Friday, January 05, 2007

Back in Neukuchen* (Or, Thoughts on Death and the New Year)

You know you're in Germany when... people unabashedly put on deoderant in open public places, when straight men cross their legs and apply chapstick in public, and when cigarette smoke lingers and follows you no matter where you are and whether or not you yourself smoke.

:)

Anyway.

I made it back safely and soundly and was happy to see Bizarro Mom (THANK YOU!) at the airport.

It's a new year. 2007. It seems that just yesterday I was preparing an informative speech for my Rhetoric Class on Y2K and the anticipated problems of the two-digit date format in computer programs. Now, seven years later, instead of pondering potential end-of-the-world issues, I'm pondering actual real-world issues.

As the plane went through some turbulence on my flight today, I had a bizarre and fleeting thought that it'd actually be kinda nice if it went down. Maybe not nice nice... but I'd be ok with it. No job hunting. No interviews. No being torn between worlds. No over-analyzing things and driving myself crazy.

I'm not that old, but I've seen and done quite a bit and could probably die decently happy at this point.

Is that morbidity? Is that contentment? Or perhaps discontentment? Or something else? *scratches her head and thinks*

The good thing about Christian spirituality is that you can always start over. As a matter of fact, it's all about fresh starts and forgiveness.

It's a new year. 2007. No matter what you've done from the moment you were born until December 31, 2006, you can start over on January 1, 2007. And if you screw up on January 1, 2007, then you can start over on January 2, 2007. And if you screw up at, say, noon on January 1, 2007, you can start over at 12:01 on January 1, 2007.

Life is a race, and it's about looking forward. A speaker once said that past failures lead to future paralysis... and past successes lead to future complacency.

*chew chew chew*

It's true, though, isn't it? So, I hope everyone looks forward this year... starts over from this moment on (if necessary... but then again, don't we all have things with which we ought to start afresh?)... runs a new and focused race.

It's a new year. 2007. Think about it, please.

To finish the story, the plane didn't go down; it landed safely and smoothly in the lovely town of Duesseldorf. Which evidently means I'm supposed to be alive for now and keep pushing forward in the Craziness that is Life. *shrugs her shoulders* Ok, can do.

It really was great being with my family.

*blows five disgustingly wet and sloppy smooches across the Atlantic Ocean*


*Tiny and Emita's pronunciation of Neukirchen, my city

No comments: