Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Symptoms

Just thought it might be interesting for my dear readers to see some of the symptoms I had during my two bouts with Covid.  Superman and my experience was different than much of what we saw in the media... so I like to be open with what we went through and try to curb some of the fear and panic that so many people have faced.  

Our first round of Covid was in June/ July 2020... and at that point we didn't know anyone else personally who had been through Covid.  So this was completely new for us, and I was pretty shocked and scared at the beginning.

Here are the symptoms and their approximate duration during the first round in June/ July 2020:

  • Loss of smell (about 8 weeks)
  • Body aches and pains (about 2-3 weeks)
  • Mild but frequent headache (about 1-2 weeks)
  • Feeling spaced-out and unconcentrated (months and months...)
  • Mental capacity below 100% (months and months... even up to today)
  • Extreme fatigue after any physical activitiy (2-3 months)
  • Sudden ability to speak Mandarin (just kidding)

The hardest thing was just feeling tired and worn out for months.  I couldn't even take a short walk or vaccum the living room without feeling like I had just run a marathon.  Though I never lost my sense of taste during Covid, my taste has changed slightly since being sick.  For example, I can't drink most carbonated drinks anymore (coke, pepsi, lemonade, etc.) because they taste like dishwashing soap.

Here are the symptoms/ duration for the second round in December 2021:

  • Headache, especially painful behind my eyes (about 3 days)
  • Mild body aches and pains (about 3 days)

And that was about it... so as you can see, the second time I had Covid, it was much milder than the first time... even without a vaccine. 

Sometimes Superman and I joke about wanting Covid again... sure, that might be morbid... but there are advantages to not smelling the neighbors when they chain smoke, not smelling trash in the almost-100-degree summer without AC, and not smelling not-so-pleasent scents emitted by husbands.  When my sense of smell slowly returned after about 2 months, it was a huge adjustment... everything stunk!

If anyone has any questions or concerns about Covid, or wants to chat with someone who has been through it twice, then let me know!  

No comments: