Wednesday, December 22, 2021

International Traveling in Covidian Times

With all the craziness going on in the world, I decided to start documenting some of my experiences here in Germany again.  For the first time in almost two years (#covid), I was able to visit my family in Texas... and the comparison between the two countries was particularly interesting. 

Just a little background... here in Berlin we've had what we call a "3G" rule for months... meaning you have to be "geimpft" (vaccinated), "genesen" (recovered) or "getestet" (tested) to do even simple things like sit down and eat at a restaurant. Masks are also required indoors, and even outdoors in some of the busiest areas of town.

For larger and non-essential events and some shops, there is even the "2G" rule, meaning you have to be "geimpft" or "genesen".  This basically excludes everyone who is not Covid-vaccinated.  I even missed a Coldplay concert last year because I wasn't "2G" at the time.

In order to fly to the US, Superman (Dirk, my husband, will be referred to as Superman on this Blog <3) and I had to pay 100 Euros each for a PCR Covid test.  The test was checked by Germany security personell in both Berlin and Frankfurt. But when we landed in Houston, not ONE person asked about our vaccine status or Covid tests.  And not everyone was wearing masks.  It was literally like entering a different world, or taking a trip to the "pre-Covid" past. 

After two weeks of freedom... no 2G/ 3G rules... eating out... no mask mandates (though we wore masks indoors just to be safe and respectful)... we returned to the dark winter of Germany, which was quite the adjustment. Meanwhile in Berlin, the 2G rule has been implemented for everything except grocery stores, drugstores, doctors and banks. So basically if you're not Covid-vaccinated, you can't even enter a shoe store to buy new shoes... or go to the tailor to get something fixed... or go to the clothes store to buy new underwear. But hey, at least the government still lets you buy food, so stop complaining and #getVaccinated!

In order to return to Germany, I had to get a Covid test, but Superman didn't (he's vaccinated). So I paid 200 USD for a same-day PCR test in order to fly back to Berlin. The interesting thing is, that absolutely NO ONE checked the test - neither in Texas nor in Germany. 

Houston Check-in Agent: "You're flying to Germany...? Emmm...? Let me check..."
Me: "I need a test, but my husband doesn't because he's vaccinated..."
Agent: *walks over and whispers with his manager"
Me: *tries not to panic*
Agent: "Ok, you're fine to go."
Me: "Perfect, do you need to see my test?  I have it here."
Agent: "No, you're fine."

When we arrived in Germany and went through border control, no one checked it either... which makes me wonder why I literally spent 200 USD on a Covid test that no one even looked at.  Especially if the situation in Germany is so horribly dangerous that a non-Covid-vaccinated person can't even sit down for a cup of coffee in an empty bakery.  And 200 USD is a LOT of money - that's like 130 Sonic drinks... or 500 Lindt chocolate balls... or a Lego modular building... or 11 Thomas Kinkade puzzles.

Anyway.  The actual flight was relatively uneventful, except for the fact that a young man passed out and had to be revived in the isle right next to my seat. Why? Because of lack of oxygen due to wearing a mask for a 10-hour flight. After the flight attendant found a doctor on board and they got the poor young man on oxygen, the crew was gracious enough to let him go maskless for the rest of the flight. 

The only reason I managed to not pass out was because I ate and drank almost the ENTIRE time... hey, I might have gained 10 pounds on the flight but at least I could breathe like a normal pre-Covid person.

Despite some slight travel drama, the trip back home was absolutely FABULOUS, for both Superman and me. We had a wonderful time with my family; there were quite a few interesting activities; and Superman was able to experience Thanksgiving for the first time in the US.

No comments: