Sunday, January 23, 2022

Superman and Mary Elizabeth, Part I

It's pretty crazy thinking about the changes from 2016 (last time I blogged) to today... I never would have expected to wake up married to Superman in the middle of an apocalyptic pandemic.  So today, I thought it might be fun to write our "how we met" story!

We were originally neighbors in our small row of appartments... he lived in #30 and I was in #36.  He was outside quite a bit with his little pug dog "Püppy"... and always enjoyed chatting with all of the neighbors.  So sometimes I would see him when I got home from work, and we would chat outside for a few minutes.

One day I was sitting on my balcony, and he asked if the little blue Toyota Aygo parked outside was mine...

Superman: "Isn't that your car...?"
Me: "Emm... yes... how come?"
Superman: "You realize that three out of four lug nuts are missing from one of your tires...?"

So with his super-human observation skills, he had noticed that one of my tires only had one lug nut.  As a thank-you for possibly saving my life, I started giving him cupcakes and cookies whenever I baked. 

After the tire occurernce, we started talking a little more, and I even took walks with him and Püppy sometimes. I was going through a hard time at that point (break-up, not many friends, no church), so it was nice having someone who lived close by that I could talk to.  Superman is a little older than me, and we both aren't really eachothers "types", so we were able to develop a great and close friendship first, without any drama.

In June 2017, on Superman's birthday, he told me that he had liked me for quite a while.  It was a shock at first because he was one of my best friends, and I kind of saw him as an older brother.  But after a while, I realized that I coulnd't imagine living without him!

One other interesting thing that happened before we started dating... I had started going to church again, and Superman and I frequently talked about God and the Universe on our long walks together.  At the beginning, he would kind of poke fun at me for what I believed (in a loving way, of course).  One Friday evening at my Life Group, I was inspired by one of the ladies who often had spiritual conversations with different friends and neighbors... so I prayed that God would SHOW me that He's working in people around me, and that I would maybe be able to have a life-altering conversation about Him with someone as well.  So that was Friday... and Saturday, Superman asked me if I was going to church the next day, and if he could check it out with me.  I was pretty shocked, but excited that he was interested.  And he absolutely loved the church - it was different than anything he had ever experienced.  In the past, church was always sad and serious for him... but our little "free church" was something completely different.  It was so cool seeing how God worked in both of our lives.

In July 2018, Superman decided to forge an engagement ring for me, and set up an appointment at a little blacksmith shop outside of Berlin. I had always wanted an engagement ring with my husband's birthstone... and his happens to be ruby, which is perfect (#pink)!  :D  The blacksmith had several beautiful little rubies... I recall going outside with him and Superman and looking at the different rubies to see which one shimmered the best and looked the best in natural sunlight.  

A couple of weeks after creating the ring, he proposed!  After work one day, I came home to find Superman in my appartment in a suit... and he asked me to marry him!  To celebrate, we went to a little ice cream shop downtown :)  It was absolutely perfect!

Here's a picture out of the photo book I made for him later... on the left side you can see him forging my ring... and on the right side are pictures from our engagement!

No comments: