Friday, October 26, 2007

Universal Deadlines

When I was 17, I met a 24 year old who influenced my life and way of thinking and way of interacting with the world tremendously. And by tremendously, I mean tremendously. He was actually in the process of writing a book at the time.

Mary: "What's the main theme or topic in your book?"
Someone: "The Universe."
Mary: "The Universe? Would you like to expound?"
Someone: "Simply the Universe. Life. Beginnings. Ends. Questions. Whys. Everything. The Universe."
Mary: "Hmm..."
Someone: "I'll send you a copy when it's finished."


And then he left for the mountains to think and walk and figure things out, and I left for the university (horrid institutions, according to certain philosophies), and the Universe somehow continues its chaotic spin.

At that time (when I was 17, that is) I told myself that I'd like to have the Universe figured out as well at 24. If he can figure it out by taking midnight walks, staring into space and smoking cigarettes, then I ought to be able to do the same.

But somehow...

As I was driving home today and thinking about how little I've actually figured out and how disgustingly meaningless most everything is, I remembered that I not only missed our Original Budget 2008 Sales and Cost of Sales transmission deadline, but I've also missed my self-set deadline for unlocking the secrets of the Universe.

Darn idealism.

Oh well. Maybe next year.

And I'm still waiting for the book.

5 comments:

Sarah D said...

42. :-)

Anonymous said...

oh mary. ich liebe deine art zu schreiben!!!! du bist so cool und uglaublich geistreich...pass auf dich auf.mariposa

Mary Elizabeth said...

Sarah - if I'm lucky. :)

Mariposa - awww, danke dir! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi sweetie -- do I know this 24 year old?
I think you have more figured out than you think. Your last blog reminded me of the book of Ecclesiastes. Read it in one sitting -- you may be encouraged!
I love you sweetie --
Mom

Mary Elizabeth said...

Mamita! You know of him, but I don't think you actually know him...

Eccl is one of my favourite books, actually... it makes sense, in a way. And maybe I should read it again... it's been quite a while.

I love you too...