Monday, June 11, 2007

Thoughts of a Hair-Twirling Brat

I was debating whether or not to even go to church a couple of weeks ago just cause I was so burnt out from everything. But, as I've been taught to make decisions based on what I think is right as opposed to what I feel like, I decided to take a deep breath and go for it. All was well until the following conversation after the sermon with a certain older woman who's notorious for making people run crying out of the building, never to return. 

Lady: "Do you really think you should twirl your hair during the church service?" 
Mary: "Em... I never really thought about it." 
Lady: "Do you do it subconsciously?" 
Mary: "Well... I realize I'm doing it... but..." 
Lady: "So it's deliberate? Do you realize it distracts people?" 
Mary: "Em... no..." 
Lady: "And do you think it's appropriate to sit the way you do?" 
Mary: "Excuse me?" 
Lady: "You sit Indian-style throughout the entire service. Now, I'd understand if a three-year-old would do that, but... how old are you?" 
Mary: "Em... I'm 24..." *hangs her head in shame* 
Lady: *gasp* "24..." 
Mary: "I don't want to discuss this anymore." 
Lady: *starts to talk* 
Mary: "I said, I can't discuss this. And if I feel like twirling my hair, I think I ought to be able to do so."  

Am I a brat? The secret's out, folks: I'm a terribly immature hair-twirling sassy-mouthed brat. But sometimes there's simply no other option. Last time we talked, the issue was my weight. 

Lady: "You look really thin... it's not healthy to be so thin." 
Mary: "I've always been thin... it's just the way I am, and I generally feel healthy." 
Lady: "But SO thin... you even look like you've lost weight." 
Mary: "Maybe I have. Maybe I'm under stress." 
Lady: "What do you eat? Do you eat vegetables?" 
Mary: "No, I hate vegetables. I never eat them." 
Lady: *looks me up and down* 
Mary: "I only eat chocolate... for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Vegetables make me sick." 

Seriously, though... I think there are more important things to criticize me on. If someone's going to criticize or question me, believe me, there are a TON of things you could focus on. Real things. Serious things. Arguably dangerous things. If anyone's interested, let me know and I'll write you a book. But the way I sit in church? Please. It's superficial and shallow and irrelevant and annoying. Yesterday, I was tempted to sit Indian-style. And to even try twirling my hair with both hands. And to maybe even smack gum and pop bubbles during the sermon. But instead I sat all the way in the back and behaved myself.

No comments: