Thursday, September 11, 2008

Why don't I live in Texas? Let me count the reasons...

... one of them being the conversation I just had with Mamita about Hurricane Ike evacuations on the Texas Gulf Coast.

Mary: "Mom, I've been hearing about Texans having to evacuate... is that only on the coast or are you guys having to evacuate too? What's going on?"
Mom: "No, we're fine. On the coast, it's a Level 4 storm, but in Austin it'll only be Level 2."
Mary: "Meaning there will be stormy tornado-like weather? Are you guys going to be ok?"
Mom: "The worst that could happen is that windows will be shattered and trees will be destroyed... we might have to take cover in the bathroom but I'm sure everything will be fine."
Mary: "Em..."


Seriously, folks. If you're having to lay in a bathtub with a mattress over yourself, to avoid injuries from shattered glass, then everything is NOT FINE. I hate bad weather.

Now the ultimate question... what's worse: bad weather or the Finanzamt*? Though if I were in Washington, DC, I wouldn't have to deal with either...


*the German Ministry of Finance

2 comments:

Sarah D said...

I'll be in northern CA this weekend, so I will completely miss all of Ike's fury. I'm actually a little sad, my area of the state will just get a little wind and a lot of rain. I love rain! Oh well.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I like your thinking! Just imagine how nice it would be in DC....
We're fine here, and didn't even have to hide in the bathroom. We may not even get any rain! Ike hit a bit farther east than expected, and wasn't as damaging as expected, so that's a blessing for A LOT of people!
Love you sweetie --
Mamita