Monday, January 14, 2008

Work (or, I think I'll stay for a little while longer if I can...)

Work is hilarious and out of control and challenging and fun and weird and frustrating and crazy and other adjectives I oughn't use. And if I expound I could risk losing my job prematurely.

So... we'll leave it at that.

A surprising number of people have asked me lately if I plan on staying in Germany (I must be giving off weird vibes)... so I thought I'd give everyone a little update. I'd originally had three years in the back of my mind. Siemens gave me a three-year Visa, so I thought I'd stay for that period of time and then re-evaluate things.

Right now I'm at about the 2.25 year mark.

My contract at Canon expires in June 2008, but my living permit expires well before then - April 2008, if I recall correctly. Which means I need to know around February or so whether or not they're going to extend my contract so that I can take the necessary steps to renew my living permit (or not).

If I'm offered an extended contract, I think I'd sign it. I wouldn't sign it in blood, but I'd sign it. If I'm not offered an extended contract, then I think I'd try to move to DC where Kat is. Or maybe Fiji. Or Somewhere Else.

Man weiss es nicht.

But I think I'd like to stay here for a little while longer.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ein Mathematiker, ein Theologe und ein Controller bewerben sich um eine Controllingstelle in einem Konzern. Nachdem sie alle Hürden überwunden haben, werden sie zu einem letzten Vorstellungsgespräch mit dem Vorstandsvorsitzenden eingeladen.
Der Vorstandsvorsitzende bittet zunächst den Mathematiker herein und stellt ihm die Frage: "Was ist zwei plus drei?"
Der Mathematiker begibt sich zum Flipchart, leitet dort das Ergebnis nach allen Regeln der mathematische Kunst ab und kommt zu dem Ergebnis: "Fünf". Der Manager bedankt sich für die Ableitung und bittet nun den Theologen herein. Nachdem er die Frage vernommen hatte, begibt er sich zum Flipchart und leitet dort anhand der Bibel das Ergebnis ab. Er kommt zu dem Schluss, dass es "gut" vier und "knapp" sechs sein müssen und legt sich schließlich auf fünf fest.
Der Vorstandsvorsitzende ist sichtlich beeindruckt. Er bedankt sich und bittet zuletzt den Controller herein. Als der Controller die Frage vernommen hat, stürzt er zu den Fenstern, schließt sie und verdunkelt den Raum. Dann geht er zum Manager, beugt sich zu ihm herab und fragt dezent: "Was soll denn herauskommen?" - Er hat den Job bekommen.

lg
swenja

Anonymous said...

This is definitely the best entry I've read during the last months! It's all in God's hands now, and he will lead us the way which is the best - not only for us.

Syd

Mary Elizabeth said...

Swenja - das beschreibt perfeckt unsere Abteilung! Habs sogar an einige Kollegen weitergeleitet... aber irgendwie hat keiner sich getraut, das an den Chef weiterzuleiten... :)

Syd - thanks. :) I guess it's always been in God's hands... it's just difficult to recognize and understand sometimes.

Anonymous said...

:) leite du ihn doch an deinen chef weiter ;)

hier gibts noch mehr davon:

www.controllerspielwiese.de

da wollte ich eigentlich was über kennzahlensysteme lesen,aber als ich dann 'zum schmunzeln' in der toolbox entdeckte, waren mir kennzahlensysteme plötzlich egal :)

viel spaß damit!
swenja

Anonymous said...

i'm really glad DC is on the official list of possibilities :-) keep me updated :-)