Saturday, January 26, 2008

Hollandia Report

We really had a great week in Holland... my team of co-workers knows how to work hard and how to play hard, and let me tell you: we did both.

We worked pretty long hours (long hours for a seminar, that is), but accomplished quite a bit. There were certain Target Values we had to calculate and generate with the new system, and we managed to manipulate the system to hit it right on the cent. It was a beautiful moment.

For the first three days of the seminar, I managed to keep my identity hidden: everyone (except my German co-workers, of course) assumed I was a German. As an American, there are certain stereotypes people have of me, and I simply didn't want to deal with those this week. I've also noticed that people's view of me often changes when they figure out where I'm from. So. Other than our team and a few Austrians, there were no native German speakers. And other than two or three Brits, there were no native English speakers. Which means I effortlessly had everyone believing I was a German.

Until we went out for Japanese food one evening... which was for me, in a way, a coming-out party. In a cultural identity sense, of course. I don't remember what prompted the comment, but for some reason, I made the statement that I'm an American. Our Japanese colleague from "Inc" (so he's one of the top guys) was completely baffled and didn't know what to do with that piece of information.

Mr. Inc: "Ahhh you American? But you born in Germany, yes?"
Mary: "No... I was born in America. I'm definitely an American."
Mr. Inc:
*stares at me* "Ahhh...so you Father is American?"
Mary: "Yes..."
Mr. Inc:
*thinks long and hard* "And you Mother is American?"
Mary: "Yes, both my parents are Americans. I'm an American. I have sisters who are Americans. They live in America. I'm the weird one who lives in a foreign country, which happens to be Germany."
Mr. Inc:
*scratches his head* "Ahhh... so you not German... so you real American."
Mary: "Yes, a real, American-born American. With an American citizenship and passport and credit card. The only thing German about me is my freaking driver's license."


And then came the Comment of the Evening:

Mr. Inc: "Ahhh... you were so quiet at the beginning of the seminar and you were only speaking German... I thought it was because you could not speak English."

At this point, Marketing Guy and I were laughing so hard, we almost spit Green Tea and raw fish all over the table.

*switches topics*

One thing that's great about Holland is the medication: not only is it cheap, but you can buy it everywhere. It's like in the States, except with a few more options thrown into the general mix. One lunch break we decided to drive to the local grocery store. I loaded up on Vla (a special kind of pudding), Dr. Pepper (yup, this is for you, Mariposa), and Ibuprofen. And at half the price? Stock me up.

All and all, it was a great week. I learned a ton, got to know my co-workers better, got to make some connections with some European Headquarter and Inc people, started reading yet another book, and laughed way more than usual.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mary,

It was good to hear that you had some fun along with your business trip.

As I was reading your last two posts, I clicked on the link to lead me to the cast of characters in your life. I had forgotten all about stalker boy. His roll in your life seems to be deminishing, which is good. I am concerned about another character that I haven't heard from in a long, long time.....Whatever has happend to Leo? Your relationship with him also appears to be waning. I suppose he would prefer to wander off to assist some other damsel in distress. That seems to be what he does best. maybe you should just give him a pat every now and then, for old times sake, so he won't feel so dusty and neglected.

Anonymous said...

dr. pepper ist DAS lebenselixier für die einen meiner kommilitonen ;)
... fürn die anderen ist es chocomel, das holländische kultgetränk! mary, das musst du aber nächstes mal probieren! (schmeckt in holland sicher besser als aus nem deutschen supermarkt :P)

de nederlanders weten wat goed is ;)

swenja

char said...

you lead such a glamorous and entertaining life.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you had such a good time. What a funny blog you have sweetie!
Love you --
Your American (part German, Dutch, and French) Mom

Mary Elizabeth said...

Anonymous - thanks for your comment... it seems that the longer I'm here, the less contact I have to Leo, for some reason. We're still friends and all, but sometimes things are a little awkward. I really do miss him, though...

Swenja - hmm... dann probiere ich naechstes Mal Chocomel. Wenns mit Schokolade zu tun hat, dann probiere ich ja ohne Frage. :)

Char - em... you have no idea... :)

Mom - thanks. And thanks for the clarification. Though based on your comments, you're not 100% American... which throws me into another identity crisis. :)