Sunday, February 11, 2007

All you need is Music*

The more experience I have with music, the more I realize just how lovely, important and powerful it is. For exapmle, it has a way of bringing people together, of evaporating barriers between people, of bridging the generation gap.

A perfect example was at Huckleberry and Mariposa's grandparents' house last weekend. There was a certain song their Grandma really wanted me to play, which I managed to learn rather spontaneously. As she was singing it, I think she even had tears in her eyes. The power of music and lyrics never ceases to amaze me.

The other day at church, I was amazed by the intelligent conversation I had with an 11 year old about music and such. He's been taking piano lessing for a while and plays classical music absolutely beautifully, but his mother wants him to be able to improvise. So, we talked and shared stories about piano lessons, practicing, motivation, and the general direction in which he wants to develop. An 11 year old!

Friday afternoons, I'll usually play the piano at church when the kids are having youth group. They'll often stop by and talk with me or ask me to play a certain song or simply listen. Some of the kiddos are pretty rough-around-the-edges with your typical "cool" facade, but they'll come and talk or hang out with me when I'm playing the piano.

All that to say... music has a way of connecting people and bringing them together and it's wonderful.


*sung to the tune of All you need is Love by the Beatles :)

1 comment:

Mary Elizabeth said...

You weirdo!

Yeah, Mom told me that you played at the nursing home - I'm proud of you!

By the way, you should say "Ich liebe DICH" not "Ich liebe Sie." "Sie" is formal and sounds really weird.