Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Nine Eleven

I still remember hearing the news: my roommate came tearing into our room, frantically telling me what had happened. She was known for over-reacting and being dramatic so I didn't believe it until she dragged me down the hall to the dorm TV lounge to see for myself.

I immediately ran to call my parents, but couldn't reach them because the phone lines were jammed. This continued for hours.

My Aunt and Uncle live in New York, so it was a relief hearing that they were ok.

A friend's father worked in the Pentagon, so it was a relief hearing that he was ok.

The entire University was in an uproar; the majority of classes were cancelled for the next couple of days.

Prayer Vigils were held and supported by various campus organizations.

News channels were broadcasted throughout the week in the MSC (Memorial Student Center), so students could gather together, watch the news, and discuss the events.

Blood donation sites were set up on campus, allowing students to donate blood for the injured in New York.

For weeks (and even months) afterwards, that was THE TOPIC. Not a day went by where you didn't discuss it or think about it.

I never thought something like that could happen on American soil. Yes, we have crime, but it's from the inside - my generation is the Columbine generation, after all. We even had a bomb threat at my high school, so I went into school late that particular day without thinking twice. But terrorism from the outside? That was a new concept introduced to me six years ago. My parents have told me stories of growing up during the Cold War Era - being afraid that the communists would come and take them away, for example. But my generation has been seemingly protected and naive.

Those are simply some things I remember from September 11, 2001.

Now, six years later, life somehow continues.

I had a great conversation today (ironically, I didn't realize until post-facto that it was the 11th) with one of my colleagues who is a Turkish Muslim. We were talking about God and beliefs and hate and war. And I realized, once again, that our fight here on earth isn't against other people. I'm not exactly sure what it's against, and what it practically looks like... but grown-ups are like children in the sense that no matter what culture you're in, they're the same.

"Children... they're all alike" is a common observation, especially from well-travelled and cultured adults with their own children... but couldn't we say the same about grown-ups?

"People... they're all alike."

We're a sad, broken, confused, lost, lonely group of people here on this planet and for whatever reason we have these tendencies to hate and kill eachother. The war isn't individual against individual... individuals get along, for the most part. And even if they don't, they usually don't kill eachother. What is war? Is it belief against belief? Culture against culture? Race against race? But Beliefs and Culture and Races are comprised of individuals. I don't think anyone can really explain war, or even end it.

Which is why I saw fire and crashing buildings and crying people and bleeding people every time I read a newspaper or turned on the televison.

I know my Muslim colleague had nothing personally to do with the attacks on September 11. Just like I didn't personally decide to go to war with Iraq. Or Afghanistan. Or Kosovo. Or anywhere else US troops are stationed.

I don't hate people. I hate sin. And I hate rebellion against God, against holiness, against peace, against beauty. I hate temptation and giving in to temptation. I hate that sin dominates this world. Sometimes I hate the world, hate what people have to experience, hate that I don't understand why.

That's all.

5 comments:

Sarah D said...

You had classes cancelled??? I still had to go to every single class. ALL OF THEM. Rar.

(I know, of all the things to comment on from this post, I had to pick the one non-insightful, deep, contemplative thing. I'll do better next time, I promise!)

Anonymous said...

mary, ich finds interessant, was du damals am elften so gemacht hast....du schreibst sehr gut. find vor allem deinen letzten absatz sehr gut. mit dem hassen und so. ich denk grad darüber nach...hdl.karin

Mary Elizabeth said...

Sarah - yeah, quite a few were cancelled... and in the classes that weren't cancelled, that was the only topic. Maybe it's cause I'm a Liberal Arts major and you were in Engineering... :)

Karin - danke für dein Kommentar! Ich dachte, es wäre für euch hier in Deutschland interessant zu lesen, was ich an dem Tag so erfahren hatte. Und dann kamen irgendwie andere Gedanken. Habe dich auch lieb.

Anonymous said...

I had just dropped off my youngest son at middle school, and was taking my older son to his Spanish class in Georgetown. We heard the news on the car radio. Tears started streaming down my face, and Daniel couldn't understand why.

The Spanish teacher lives in a geodesic dome house outside of Georgetown. I don't knw why that is an important memory, but it is. We went inside, she had the TV on. We watched as the second plane hit the towers and watched in horror when the whole building went up in smoke.

After recovering somewhat from the shock of it all, my mind went to Israel. I thought, this happens to Israel regularly and we, as a nation, tell them not to retaliate. It gave me an even greater respect for this nation that patiently carried out these orders from "wiser" nations.

The Spanish teacher's son was a pilot in the airforce, stationed in Virginia. She knew he would be headed to Afganistan immediately.

The horror of this never seems to go away. Now I can understand some of the memories my parents passed on to me. It bothered me that my mother was so fastidious about saving every last bit of left overs, and USED them until they were gone. Even when we had company, the bowl of left overs were put out too. The adult company always made sure they were eaten. They had lived through the depression.

Now, I use the 911 attack as part of my gospel presentation. People have a hard time grasping the concept that Jesus was actually dead and in the tomb for 3 days and came back alive. The gospel was written at a time when people knew this was a fact.They either saw it happen or knew someone who did. In our generation, we either witnessed the 911 attacts Via the media, or know someone who did. It is accepted as truth just as Jesus' death and resurrection was an accepted truth for that particular generation.

Somehow, this realization helps people understand the validity of the gospel.

Mary Elizabeth said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Karen... very interesting perspective on relating it to the Gospel. I'd never really thought of it that way... but it's true... about 2000 years ago, the resurrection was seen as a fact, as a current piece of news. Today we (myself included) see it all too often as some far-removed, albeit true, story. Or a myth of sorts that's somehow based on a possibly true occurence.

And yes... it also gave me an entirely new respect and appreciation for my grandparent's generation.