Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Blue like What? (Or, Book Recommendations)

I've officially got a new... I don't even know what to call it. A hero? An admiree? A semi-celebrity-crush?

It's been a while since a book has changed my life... the last book that concretely changed both my views and certain decisions was A Return to Modesty by Wendy Shalit, which I read multiple times throughout high school and college. READ THIS if you have the chance. It's brilliant and witty and true and feministic in a non-bra-burning way.

Now, however, I'm on a major Don Miller Trip. About a year ago, I read Blue like Jazz for the first time, and decided to read it again hoping it'd help me understand life and God and things. Along with it I read Searching for God Knows What because (a) I liked Don Miller for the most part and (b) I liked the title.

The book is brilliant.

His view of Christianity and Spirituality is a ton different than most everything I've come across in the past. He's both personal, real and brutally honest in his writing, and seems to have a decent understanding of the general human condition. He definitely presented some ideas worthy of somehow incorporating into my sometimes-seemingly-warped general world view.

As far as I know, the books don't exist in German...

2 comments:

Sarah D said...

I love Donald Miller! I have yet to read Searching, but BLJ was so fascinating. It sucked me right in. :-) I actually have an opportunity to go see him speak at a "young people" (i.e. 20s age) conference in September. I hope I get to go, that would be awesome!

P.S. Glad you're back in the blogging world. :-) I missed reading your rants!

Mary Elizabeth said...

Hey Sarah!
You should definitely go see him... I'm jealous!

I've got Through Painted Deserts as well, but I think I'm going to read Searching again just to make sure everything really sinks in.